Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sweet Relief...

Wow. So much has happened the past few days, I don't know where to begin. Wait, yes I do. CLASSES ARE FINISHED! Hence, the sweet relief. Along with classes being finished, so are the two projects I had looming over my head for the better part of the semester. Whee! My Queen Elizabeth Dress is FAB-U-LOUS...and I'll post pictures soon. And my Macbeth DVD couldn't have turned out better. I spent more time on it than I probably should have, but it's so cool. I made menus set to music, had a director's cut with commentary, and I even figured out how to rip clips form other DVDs (Elizabeth: the Golden Age and Lord of the Rings) and put a voice-over to them, too! Not to mention the incredible acting skills on the parts of my neighbors. It was all a ton of work, but a ton of fun, too!

Also, as if to compliment my good mood, the weather was wonderful the past few days. We even got to go mini-golfing with Mat and Dani and James. Granted, we should have been finishing projects, but you have to take a small break every now and then to keep your sanity. And just for the record, I came in second to Mat. I got a hole-in-one on the second hole!!!! Go me!!!



What else? Ah, yes. This could quite possibly be my favorite Logan story thus far. So Monday, I'm sitting on the couch, putting on my shoes, and packing my bag for class. Logan and I were just about to leave to go down to campus and I hear a "knock, knock, knock" on the door. So I answer it. It's a cop. In full uniform, badge and all. So I said, all nervous-like, "Can I help you?" *gulp* and he responds, "Yes, we had a 911 hang-up from the phone number linked to this apartment. Is everything ok?" So horrified, I looked down and saw the house phone laying on the floor. Connected to University Police. For the past 11 minutes. I grabbed it, turned it off, and apologized probably a hundred times while he took down my information. The officer assured me that it was fine, he understood, and that it happens more than one would think. So here is what happened: We live in on-campus housing, so we have a campus phone number. When you dial a campus number (such as the police) from any campus phone (such as our home phone), you only need to dial the last 5 digits. And the University Police number is 422-2222. Making it 2-2222 from our phone. So Logan managed to turn the phone on and all he had to do was push the number 2 at least 5 times. In the moment, I was soooo embarrassed. However, in retrospect, it is pretty funny. However, note to self: NEVER leave the phone within reach of Logan EVER AGAIN.

And last but not least, sleep training. I'm done waking up 2-3 times a night with Logan. He's big enough to be able to sleep for 8 straight hours. And I know I said it before and gave up, but this time I hope to stick to it. And the reason I think it failed before? Well, we were basically going for the Ferber Method...let him cry it out. Instead of it working, I think it screwed him up even more. After I let him cry three nights in a row, he stated to cry whenever I put him in his crib...something that never happened before. Before we "ferberized" him, Logan would, more often than not, simply roll over and go to sleep at night when we put him in his crib. After letting him cry it out when he woke up at 4 am, he hated his crib. So after some research, I decided to try the "Pick up, put down" method from Tracy Hogg, the Baby Whisperer. I read through the books yesterday and today and I'm going for it. I'll post more about it later, I'm sure, but it seems reasonable to me. My only concern: The book says that babies Logan's age don't need to nurse at night, but they simply need to suck and have been conditioned to breastfeed (or bottle feed) due to "accidental parenting." So it suggests giving your baby a pacifier in the middle of the night instead of feeding, then taking it away after they are done with it (normally 10 minutes or so the first night, decreasing it as the baby sucks less and less). Well, Logan doesn't take a pacifier. I'm gonna try it, but it really doesn't seem promising in my mind.
Well, this is a really long entry and I'm gonna go. Take care, miss you all, and I'll post again, soon!!!

No comments: