Monday, June 9, 2008

Campaign for Real Beauty...

So we talked about body image in my Young Adult Fiction class today and a girl showed this video...and it blew my mind.

it was so crazy. In other news...I had to call poison control the other day.

So Logan was sitting in the living room playing and I was sitting on the couch reading. I looked up to find him sitting among a bunch of little white things that looked like Tic-Tacs. I got down to look at them and it turns out that they were Zac's Zyrtec he takes for his allergies. I don't know why the bottle was on the ground, but it was and Logan got it open (even though it is "child proof." All you have to do is squeeze the sides while you turn it, so if he had it in his mouth and bit down, that's how he got it open). Anyways, his tongue and the sides of his mouth were all white and chalky, so I started counting the pills as I picked them up and put them back into the bottle. I counted 33. The bottle originally had 45, so I called Zac to see how many he'd taken since he bought the bottle a few weeks ago. He wasn't sure but he said more than 10. Well, to be on the safe side, I called poison control.

Operator: Hello, poison control, can I get your name?
Me: Sarah
Operator: What Can I help you with, Sarah?
Me: My son may have eaten some Zyrtec.
Operator: How much does he weigh?
Me: Well, he's almost a about 25 lbs?
Operator: What is the maximum number of pills he could have eaten?
Me: Not more than five.
Operator: Ok...I've got a study here about a little girl about 18 months that ate FIFTY times the amount of recommended dosage. All that happened was that her pupils were really dilated and she slept soundly for about 14 hours. So keep an eye on your son until bedtime, and assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens, you'll probably have a sound sleeper tonight.

So, I've officially joined the "Mom's Club." It's a club you're not a full member of until you've had to call poison control at least once. So, go me!


The JL McGregor Family said...

Welcome to the club! I'm glad Logan is ok. I had to call once because my Logan found the empty bleach bottle I had put in the garbage and started spraying it in his mouth...

The JL McGregor Family said...

ps. loved the clip from Dove. Doesn't it make you sick?

Zach and Linds said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad that he is ok. I am really nervous for Brooklyn to start moving and eating things... but I have a few months until that happens!

Zach and Linds said...

It's us again. Thanks for putting that Dove video on. It really makes an impression. Both of us were shocked!