Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christine Makes Some Valid Points...

I sent out round one of Christmas cards yesterday and on the back, there is a link to this blog. And my good buddy Christine made a nice little jab when I said that...something along the lines of "You never update it, so why would you include a link to it?" Touche, Udders. Touche. So...random, unrelated happenings...

We've been in the new house for almost three months AND LOVE IT!!!! I even hosted Thanksgiving here for 15 members of the Thomas family. And the dinner was SUPERB if I do say so myself. My timing was flawless, the gravy was 100% lump-free, the turkey was nice and moist (I guess it could have been a bit browner, but whatever...), and there were plenty of left-overs for everyone. Oh, and I tried a new stuffing recipe and it was pretty freaking yummy.
I've been working at the Canandaigua YMCA for almost 3 months now, too. And that is GREAT. I get a free membership for me and a steeply discounted family membership for Zac and the kids. I'm only scheduled to work like 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, but there are always people in the daycare looking for time off. I can usually triple my hours each week if I just go in and grab "time off requests." My specific job requires me to teach a "First Time Fun" class for 18 month to 3-year-olds and their parents. It's fun, but sometimes it's challenging. I need to come up with a craft each week and it's difficult to find something that 18 month old's AND 3-year-old's can do. I usually pull it off a the last second, but I have been known to just put out play-dough and cookie cutters once or twice. It's also really great that I get to take my kids with me. Kay is in the class I teach, but I send Logan to the daycare...which he actually looks forward to because Grandma Jaylene works down there while I am up teaching my class. It works out perfectly!
Speaking of Christine, we got to hang out for her birthday. There was some scheduling involved, and some babysitting concerns, but she ended up driving out here from Buffalo. We started the day with a trip to The Sandbox with the kids over in Fairport (which was pretty fun!), came back to the house (did I mention that I LOVE this house?!?!?!) for a bit, then left L and K with Zac and took Christine's daughter, Grace, to her mom's so we could enjoy a big ole' fatty steak dinner by ourselves. Then we topped the evening off with a Wegman's Pizza Cookie and devoured it back at Christine's mom's. It was a great day. And I can't wait to do it again next month for my birthday ;-)
What else? Oh. My Christmas shopping is pretty much done. I got probably 60% of it Black Friday shopping, 35% on Amazon (with Amazon Prime's free shipping, mind you), and the other 5% I'm in the middle of making. I guess I can spill the beans on at least one present...I got my parents a laptop. Their computer bit the dust about a month ago. Their ancient computer. That was running Windows ME or something...
Anyways, I was trying to figure out how we could help them pay for a new desktop. But even refurbished ones were a little out of our current price range, as we have rent to pay (on the house that I LOVE). And then I saw it. A Compaq Presario Laptop at Walmart for $198. I asked my dad what he thought of a laptop and he said he could learn how to use it, so I put it at the top of my list. (Well, second on my list. First and foremost I wanted a Shark Steamer that was on sale for $39.)
So I set off to Walmart at 9:25 Thursday night. The steamer was going on sale at 10 and the laptops were to be released at 12:01. I mapped out the store online and noticed that the steamers were on the way to the laptops so that's where I headed. And luck was on my side because I got a steamer AND got the 6th to last ticket for a laptop. Of course, I had to wait around for just over 2 hours to get it, but I was inside, warm, sitting down, and watching Netflix on my iPhone. I've had worse Black Friday experiences.
After the laptops were handed out, I made my way through the rest of the relatively quiet store. It was BONKERS at 10 when I first got there, but at midnight, it wasn't much different than any other midnight Walmart shopping trip. I still managed to get most everything else I intended to (with the exception of socks and undies for the kids) and kept it under $200. Well, excluding the laptop.
Kaylee has decided to try using the potty with or without my blessing. I've fought it for the last 3 weeks or so because I'M not ready to go through that hell again. But today she insisted. She has been in her Dora underwear for 9 hours and not had a single accident. She pees probably every half hour and pooed twice. I'm not going to lie...I'm impressed. But I'm not holding my breath that this is the end of my diaper-buying days.
Now that the Christmas cards are on their way, I guess I can post these:

As always, my beautiful and talented sister-in-law, Liz, took them. In our back yard. Of the house that I LOVE.
And from now on, I will make shorter, more frequent blog posts. Like in the olden days.

No comments: