So I saw this thing online about dying Easter Eggs using old silk ties. The idea is that if you boil the eggs wrapped in 100% silk, the design will transfer to the egg shells. I figured it was worth a shot. Logan and I went to DI (the local thrift shop) yesterday and he picked out 3 ties. Then this evening, I cut them apart and he helped me wrap them. I wrapped the eggs like two to three times around which, for future reference, was not the best idea. You're also supposed to wrap the tie-wrapped eggs in an additional fabric, like an old pillow case. I skipped this step. Again, not the best idea. So then Logan helped me put them in a pot with water and vinegar and we boiled them for 20 minutes (with three more unwrapped ones for good measure. And again, not a good idea if the eggs aren't wrapped in that extra layer).
Then pulled them out, cooled them off, and unwrapped them...
They did turn out pretty neat looking. But next time, I won't wrap them more than once with the tie itself. It made the print run into the main color of the tie. I will also be sure to wrap that second material around the egg to prevent so much of the color from bleeding into the water and onto the other eggs. Our burgundy-colored tie seemed to really dominate all of the other ones (teal, yellow, and blue).