Friday, January 25, 2008

Two Years...

Well, I can't believe it, but Mary T has been gone for two years. For those of you who knew her, I hope you take some time today to think about her and how she touched your lives. And for those of you who were never lucky enough to meet this amazing child of God, let me enlighten you.

Mary Therese Luisa Norman was one of the sweetest, kindest, and smartest girls I knew. I don't know when exactly we hit it off, but we became best friends in our early years of elementary school. As we grew up, our teachers changed and seldom were we in the same classroom, but we still managed to remain friends throughout the years. There was rarely a birthday party or sleep-over that didn't include MT in my memory...but most of the sleep-overs occurred at my house since Disney movies were obsolete in her home... Anyways, anyone who knew her will tell you of her love for animals. I even got my rabbit, Buttercup, from her in third grade. We were the girls running around trying to "save" "helpless" animals...from rescuing mice caught by our cats and trying to nurse them back to health, to bandaging our own animals' uninjured legs, tails, necks, etc. The only difference between the two of us in that aspect is that she actually was pursuing a career in veterinary medicine. And boy did she have the brains for it! She was our Salutatorian for the BCS Class of 2003 and probably should have been Valedictorian. (Sorry Adam, but it's the truth). She was attending RIT on scholarship and even found time to join their dance team.

Sadly, MT was killed in a car accident on Wednesday, January 25th, 2006. She was living with her aunt and uncle (closer to campus) and was driving back to their home after spending time with her family earlier that day. As her aunt stated at her memorial service, she had spent her last day on earth exactly the way she would have if she had known. After spending much of the day with her parents, she had stayed for dinner with her siblings and even stayed for a game of Euchre afterwards. She even got to talk to the love of her life, Andy, before she was gone.

So that is MT. Both the wonderful parts and the tragic. *Spiritual Junk Warning* I don't know why, but it seems that He always takes the good ones early. However, I do take comfort in knowing that I will see her again. I know with all my heart, that someday I will be able to see and be with all of my lost friends and family. I'm truly thankful for temples and the vicarious work that goes on there, and I am especially grateful for the sacrifice our Savior made so that we all have the opportunity to live with our Heavenly Father again. Love you, MT!

No comments: