Thursday, January 31, 2008

Worst Day EVER...

So I've had some pretty awful days in the past. A few little things that go wrong, or one huge terrible thing that happens...but the last 48 hours have been hellish. Hence the "happy bunny" pictures. They crack me up. So let's start with Tuesday. Logan was being cranky and where he normally sleeps for 2-3 hours during the day, he slept a total of 50 minutes. Also on Tuesday afternoon, I set up a meeting for a group project. 2 of the 6 people showed. And I was one of the two people. Freak. Fast forward to Wednesday morning 1:30 am. Logan woke up crying (like he normally does to eat) and Zac said he felt hot. When I took him, he was burning up. I didn't even want to hold him he felt so hot. So we changed his jammies from the fleece ones to the light cotton ones and took his temperature. Under his arm, it was 101.7 and when you take a baby's temp under their arm, you add a degree. So he was really feverish. We finally got him to calm down, gave him some Tylenol, and took him to bed with us. Our bedroom is generally colder than the rest of the house and I think it helped. Of course with him in bed, I didn't get much sleep. And he was up every hour or so anyways. So at 6:00 am I called Zac's mom because I knew she'd be up. We chatted and she suspected an ear infection. After I got off the phone with her, I looked at Logan's ears and noticed his left one was really waxy and looked like it had been draining fluid. I also took his temperature again and it was 101.4. I waited until 8:00 for the health center to open and I scheduled an appointment. Our pediatrician was in meeting all morning so we could wait for an appointment at 3:00 or we could go in as early as 9:40, but we'd have to see a different general practitioner. I opted for the earlier appointment.

When we got there, the nurse checked us in, weighed Logan (18 lbs 9 oz) and took his temperature. Sure enough, the Tylenol kicked in and it was a perfect 98.6. Go figure. So the doctor came in to look at Logan's ears. He looked in the right one and said "This one looks perfect." So I sat there thinking "Seriously?! We all suffered all night and now nothing is wrong?" But then when the doctor looked at his left ear (the icky one), he said "Wow. This one is really infected." I felt bad for Logan, but I was a bit relieved that I didn't look like an idiot. So Logan is now on a course of antibiotics for 5 days and within the first few hours he seemed a lot better. With the assistance of Tylenol and Motrin, but still.

So I skipped class to be with my baby...and to go grocery shopping. I was asked to have a "cooking show" for enrichment on Wednesday night and still hadn't done anything for it. So I printed off 3 recipes and asked Zac to get them copied on campus after his class. Then I dropped Logan off to play with his friend Parker and went to the store. I also got stuff for Sunday since we're going to Mat and Dani's. I sprung for some of those Lil Smokies. They were $2.49 a package, but I had coupons for $1.00 off. Naturally, I forgot to use the coupons and didn't realize it until I got in the car. Awesome. Fast forward to 5:00 Wednesday evening. Logan went down for a nap and I was so tired that I turned off my cell and crashed on the couch. Until the house phone rang at 5:20. Grrr. So I got up and started getting ready for the cooking thing at 7:00. I was just about ready to go up to the church where we were having it (in the nice big kitchen!) and was like, "Where is Zac with my copies?" Naturally he was on campus and wasn't planning on coming home. So he came home and got here just before 7:00. We went up to the church together and the girls that came to watch were all sitting in the hallway. Apparently, some one else had booked the church and we had no where to go to cook. Long story short, I asked if we could just use the kitchen and they said sure. But what a hassle! I also asked one of the enrichment leaders to bring her blender so I had 2, but she forgot. I made dressing in mine, but didn't have hers to make my Brazilian lemonade. But everyone forgave me. So other than that, no cooking disasters and everyone really liked my food. Hooray for that, at least.

So after I got home, I gave Logan some more medicine and put him to bed. Then I noticed that I missed a call and 4 new text messages on my phone. But why didn't I hear them? Well because my phone was in "Car Kit Mode." Which means (after I researched it online) that the battery got wet and my phone is pretty much useless since the speaker and the ear piece stop working. And THEN, according to my online research, I found out that Verizon won't do anything about it because if the battery gets wet, it voids the warranty on the phone and they won't fix it. SWEET. So I read more in the forum about other people's experiences with Car Kit Mode on their phone and I started taking mine apart. Then I scrubbed all the connectors with rubbing alcohol and dried off every part with my blow dryer, put it back together, and IT WORKS! Phew. I still need to have my camera pn the phone fixed (from a while ago) so hopefully I can still get that fixed without my warranty being voided. But we'll see. So that was all well and good, but the "fun" doesn't stop there.

For my Shakespeare in Film class, I needed to watch 2 versions of Hamlet. Olivier's and Zeffirelli's (the one with Mel Gibson). I had a few them online form Netflix, watch them at the Library, or rent them. So the plan was Netflix. Well, wouldn't you know it, only one was available online. I would have to wait for the Mel Gibson one in the mail. Too bad I needed to watch both of them and write a paper on them for TODAY at 4:30. I know it was my own fault for putting it off, but I assumed I would be able to watch them online. So this morning, Zac went to Blockbuster to rent the Mel Gibson one for me. It was checked out and had been for 3 weeks. Go figure. So I did my best to get the idea from reviews online. I actually think I wrote a decent paper for my lack of knowledge. So I turned it in at the beginning of class, told my teacher my son had an ear infection, and she told me it was no big deal. (Side of the girls on the BYU Women's Basketball team is in my class. She misses class sometimes and I type up my notes and email them to her and she was nice enough to tell me as I was leaving, "I'll email you my notes, Sarah!" She is so sweet.)

And just when you think I'm done with all of my crappy stories, I've got one more. I'm not even upset or mad at this point...I just sort of expect everything to go wrong. I got a letter from BYU Independent Study and I opened it up. It said "Final Grade for ENGL 292: E." So here's the thing with that. I signed up to take 292 online in September. When you take and online class, you have a year to finish it. And my paperwork for the class even says: Enroll date: 9/17/07 Expire date: 9/16/08. So why do I have a final failing grade already? Hahaha...I HAVE NO IDEA! Ugh. Then Zac, seeing my half-mad mental state said he'd take care of it...bless his heart. So he emailed the department and explained the situation. And this is the email he got back:
If she received a note saying she failed, the most logical reason would be that she has completed the course and the final and failed the final. If this is not the case, then we can look into it and see why she received the letter. However, we will need her course access code in order to do so. If she would like to call the number listed below, someone will be able to help her sort this out.
If you have further questions, please contact us at or 1-800-914-8931 ext. 0 or 801-422-2868 between 6am-6pm MT.
Thank You,
BYU Independent Study

UMMM...I THINK I WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED TAKING AND FAILING THE FINAL. Seriously. So that's just one more thing I have to figure out. So apologies for ranting about everything that's driving me crazy, but I've had a rough couple of days. And now I have to tend to a sink full of dishes and some clean laundry that needs to be folded. So thanks for listening and feeling sorry for me...miss you all. Maybe all you New Yorkers out there can pool together and buy me a plane ticket home for a vacation from this insanity for a weekend :-)


Lisa C said...

Yikes! Why do things like that always happen together?

BriAnna Jenkins said...

Honey. I work at Independent Study. I will look into this for you... that is so weird!! I go in at 11. I will let you know what I find out. But text me your course access code, because that will help!

Benjamin said...

I loved reading your post Sarah. Don't get me wrong...I'm sorry you had such a tough week, but it makes me feel normal! Not many people rant and complain on their seems that they always post about the wonderful things their kids are doing, daily happenings, adorable pics, or the newest accomplishment. I really feel run down at the moment. We've had 1 flu and 2 colds, 6 different ear infections, been on 6 different antibiotics, and seen the doctor 9 times (including an ENT for Eldon's ears) in the last 3 weeks. To top it all off, Aaron has been so busy with school that I've had to handle it pretty much myself...

Sometimes, I feel like I can't rant on the blog...but what a relief it is sometimes to just let it out! You're doing great. Take one thing at a time and just keep pushing on...that's all I know how to do!

Steffy said...

Man! I'm so sorry about your horrible day! I hope it only gets so much better!